The ACT Government has introduced an opt-in email newsletter service to help Canberrans keep up-to-date with service changes, consultation opportunities, upcoming community events and the introduction of new initiatives. If you are interested in subscribing, please sign up here.
Littering of any kind is illegal under the Litter Act 2004.
The City Rangers deal with the following littering offences:
The ACT Government has stepped up enforcement, which may lead to the following penalties. Some penalties are up to $1,000 for individuals and $5,000 for businesses.
Section 8 - Littering:
- 8(1) Deposit litter in a public place (small item) infringement penalty $60; deposit any other litter, infringement penalty $200;
- 8(2) Litter that escapes or likely to escape into public place, infringement penalty $200;
- 8(3) Deposit litter in receptacle in public place and not of size, shape nature or volume for receptacle, infringement penalty $200.
Section 10 - Commercial waste:
- 10(1) Deposit commercial waste in a public place, infringement penalty $500;
- 10(2) Occupier of commercial, industrial or business premises fails to prevent litter being deposited at a public place, infringement penalty $1,000.
Section 11 – Vehicle loads
Section 12 – Depositing or abandoning dangerous containers
Section 13 – Placing advertising leaflets on motor vehicles etc
- 13(1) Place unsolicited leaflet in or on a motor vehicle in a public place, infringement penalty $100;
- 13(3) Distribute, commission, authorise or arrange for distribution of unsolicited leaflet for placement in or on motor vehicle in a public place, infringement penalty $100.
Littering cigarette butts could lead to a $60 on the spot fine.
Call Canberra Connect on 13 22 81 or complete the Incident Report Form (Word 102 KB) / Incident Report Form (PDF 184KB) and return to email@example.com or post to City Rangers, GPO Box 158, Canberra ACT 2601.